Employment Opportunities: Central Library Public Services Manager
The 145,000 square foot Central Library opened in September of 2004, replacing a 1930s building one-fourth of its size. Highlights include the READ Center with story room, enclosed garden and activity area, the Popular Materials Center which includes the Teen Zone, the Reference and Technology Center, the Indiana History Room, study rooms and meeting rooms, the Talking Books/Homebound Service, a book store and gardens.
200 SE Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.
Evansville, IN 47713
Master of Library Science or Master of Library and Information Services degree required.
Salary Range: $58,453 - $87,679
Start Date: Immediate
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Performs professional work ensuring customer centric services in accordance with the Board's policies. Provides guidance, leadership and management to Central Library public service managers, supervisors and staff to empower them to perform their duties and functions in a cooperative manner. Leads and attends meetings, acting as a liaison for staff and the management team, and related work as apparent or assigned. Work is performed under the general direction of the Public Services Officer. Departmental supervision is exercised over Customer Services Manager, Popular Materials Center Supervisor, READ/Children's Center Supervisor and Reference Services Manager.
- Manages and coordinates Central Library public services managers and supervisors; manages communication between staff members.
- Prepares for, attends and leads various meetings related to Central Library public services. Implements, coordinates and collaborates on Central Library projects.
- Formulates and executes efficient operating procedures ensuring excellent customer service.
- Takes and responds to internal and external concerns and inquiries.
- Reviews schedules for Central Library public service staff. Implements, coordinates and publishes Person in Charge schedule.Â Implements, coordinates and publishes the Sunday Rotation schedule for Central Library.
- Interviews, hires and trains staff supervisory and management staff; assigns and evaluates work; coaches, disciplines, promotes and terminates staff.
- Develops and facilitates outreach and programming activities for the Central Library; works in coordination with other branches, business and community leaders to ensure programming is meeting community needs.
- As needed, works the reference desk; receives and responds to customer or staff inquiries related to library facilities, services, technology or programs.
- Engages in and leads strategic planning, continuous process improvement; follows trends, anticipates needs, assures the best in library services
- Engages in professional development and participates in professional and community organizations. Attends and leads various meetings and committees as a member and representative of Central Library.
- Engages in, and is active in, community activities, organizations,Â and events as a member of the community and representative of Central Library.
- Other duties as assigned.
Direct supervision of Customer Services Manager, Popular Materials Center Supervisor, READ/Children's Center Supervisor and Reference Services Manager. Indirect supervison of professional, paraprofessional and hourly library staff as well as volunteers.
REQUIRES: Master's degree from a school of library or information science program accredited by the American Library Association and extensive experience working in a managerial role at a library. Urban or large branch library management experience a plus. Ability to obtain Indiana State Library Certification within 6 months of hire date. Must have great customer service skills, excellent communication skills, be self motivated, able to work a flexible schedule including evening and weekend hours, and be dependable and responsible.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: This work requires the occasional exertion of up to 10 pounds of force; work regularly requires speaking or hearing and using hands to finger, handle or feel, frequently requires sitting and repetitive motions and occasionally requires standing, walking, climbing or balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching or crawling, reaching with hands and arms, tasting or smelling, pushing or pulling and lifting; work has standard vision requirements; vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word; hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels; work requires observing general surroundings and activities; work occasionally requires exposure to outdoor weather conditions; work is generally in a moderately noisy location (e.g. business office, light traffic).
Applicants must adhere to Library’s Dress Guidelines (“Business Casual”) and dress suitable for the task at hand, and must maintain good personal hygiene in compliance with Library Code of Conduct.
Qualified persons interested may submit an EVPL Electronic Application. For full consideration qualified persons interested must submit a cover letter, salary requirements, resume/vitae including three professional references by attaching materials to the electronic application. Applicant materials will be taken until the position is filled.
Review of applicant materials will begin immediately.
Evansville Vanderburgh Public Library
Attn: Human Resources
200 S.E. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.
Evansville, IN 47713
EVPL is an equal opportunity employer.