Employment Opportunities: Part-time Customer Service Representative - Red Bank & West Branches
Location: Red Bank and West Branches
120 S Red Bank Rd.
Evansville, IN 47712
Hours: Part-time; $9.61 Hour; position is scheduled an average of 20 hours per week.
Start Date: August 25, 2016
Position is assigned to Red Bank Branch Library but must be available to work at West Branch Library as needed.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Under supervision of customer service supervisor, promotes and facilitates external customer use of library materials by registering customers for library cards; by charging and discharging library materials, by sorting, shelving and arranging materials, and by performing the below-listed tasks and duties.
- Issues borrower cards and updates customer records.
- Charges, discharges and renews Library materials.
- Handles change.
- Inspects for damage and sorts returned Library materials.
- Sorts materials according to classification or location; moves materials to their proper location; places materials in the proper shelf, bin, drawer order as appropriate for the item/s.
- Shifts Library materials on shelves and in containers as needed; straightens materials periodically.
- Moves materials from one area to another within the building.
- Responds to telephone calls and notifies customers of materials availability.
- Responds to customer questions regarding over-dues, fines and general circulation matters, referring to person-in-charge any difficult matters.
- Answers directional and similar inquiries of a non-reference nature by telephone and in person;Â refers persons requiring professional assistance to the appropriate staff or librarian.
- Assists customers in use of photocopier, computers, and other equipment.
- Assists in locating books or other materials requested by title/author for customers.
- Cleans and mends materials.
- Assists with summer reading program and similar activities.
Physical Requirements: This work requires the regular exertion of up to 10 pounds of force, frequent exertion of up to 25 pounds of force and occasional exertion of up to 50 pounds of force; work regularly requires speaking or hearing and using hands to finger, handle or feel, frequently requires sitting, reaching with hands and arms, pushing or pulling, lifting and repetitive motions and occasionally requires standing, walking, climbing or balancing and stooping, kneeling, crouching or crawling; work requires close vision; vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word; hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels; work requires preparing and analyzing written or computer data, visual inspection involving small defects and/or small parts, operating machines and observing general surroundings and activities; work occasionally requires exposure to outdoor weather conditions; work is generally in a moderately noisy location (e.g. business office, light traffic).
REQUIRES: High school diploma or general education degree (GED); or 6 to 18 months related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. May consider less than high school diploma or general education degree (GED) and/or no prior experience. Must have great customer service skills, excellent communication skills, be self motivated, able to work a flexible schedule including evening and weekend hours, and be dependable and responsible. Applicants must adhere to Library’s Dress Guidelines (“Business Casual”) and dress suitable for the task at hand, and must maintain good personal hygiene in compliance with Library Code of Conduct.
Qualified persons interested may submit an EVPL Electronic Application. Applicant materials will be taken until the position is filled.
Evansville Vanderburgh Public Library
Attn: Human Resources
200 S.E. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.
Evansville, IN 47713
EVPL is an equal opportunity employer.