Employment Opportunities: Full-time Assistant Branch Manager/Youth Librarian
Location: Oaklyn Branch
3001 Oaklyn Drive
Evansville, IN 47711
Start Date: Immediate
Full-time, benefit eligible
Must have a Master's degree in Library Science from an ALA accredited university.
Performs intermediate professional work assisting the branch manager with the supervision of branch staff and operations, developing strong community partnerships, reviewing and maintaining adequate collection materials, working the reference desk, and related work as apparent or assigned. Work is performed under the general direction of the Branch Manager. Limited supervision is exercised over branch employees; direct full supervision over the Youth Services Assistant.
- Assists with the supervision of staff and operation; acts as the branch manager in their absence; assists with planning and facilitating the budget.
- Works the reference desk; takes and responds to staff or customer inquiries related to programming, collections or general library information.
- Plans for and facilitates various programming and tours related to branch needs.
- Prepares, updates and presents various usage and programming statistics.
- Maintains the collection; weeds and recommends items to purchase or replace.
- Participates in outreach activities to build strong community and business partnerships.
- Participates and leads various meetings, programs, committees or conferences as a representative and member of the library.
- Develops, plans, promotes, supervises and executes internal and external children and youth programs.
- Provides full management of the youth services area of the branch library.
- Provides supervision to the Youth Services Assistant.
REQUIRES: Master's degree from a school of library or information science program accredited by the American Library Association and considerable experience in a public library with some supervisory experience.
Must have great customer service skills, excellent communication skills, be self motivated, able to work a flexible schedule including evening and weekend hours, and be dependable and responsible. Applicants must adhere to Library’s Dress Guidelines (“Business Casual”) and dress suitable for the task at hand, and must maintain good personal hygiene in compliance with Library Code of Conduct.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: This work requires the frequent exertion of up to 25 pounds of force; work regularly requires speaking or hearing and using hands to finger, handle or feel, frequently requires walking, sitting, reaching with hands and arms, lifting and repetitive motions and occasionally requires standing, stooping, kneeling, crouching or crawling and pushing or pulling; work requires close vision; vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word; hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels; work requires preparing and analyzing written or computer data, visual inspection involving small defects and/or small parts, operating machines, operating motor vehicles or equipment and observing general surroundings and activities; work occasionally requires exposure to outdoor weather conditions; work is generally in a moderately noisy location (e.g. business office, light traffic).
Qualified persons interested may submit an EVPL Electronic Application. For full consideration qualified persons interested must submit a cover letter, salary requirements, resume/vitae including three professional references by attaching materials to the electronic application. Applicant materials will be taken until the position is filled.
Review of applicant materials will begin immediately.
Evansville Vanderburgh Public Library
Attn: Human Resources
200 S.E. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.
Evansville, IN 47713
EVPL is an equal opportunity employer.