Employment Opportunities: Youth Services Outreach Assistant
Location: Central Library - READ Children's Center
200 SE Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.
Evansville, IN 47713
Full-time, benefit eligible position. Minimum entry level salary is $12.48; may be adjusted based on education and experience.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Performs intermediate professional work designing, promoting, presenting and evaluating youth services and programs to target populations, develops strong community partnerships, demonstrates a passion for connecting with children and a desire to promote literacy through dynamic and innovative programming; reviews and maintains adequate collection materials for the outreach services collection, provides public service coverage at reference desk, and related work as apparent or assigned. Work is performed under the limited supervision of the READ Center Supervisor. Occasional oversight is exercised over Youth Services Assistant.
- Identifies outreach opportunities and develops appropriate response for library services for children; designs, promotes, presents and evaluates children’s programs and activities which address community needs and offer tie-ins to library materials; displays original thinking and creativity; develops innovative approaches and ideas; uses communication tools and technologies to promote literacy.
- Participates in the development of the outreach services collection; evaluates and suggests titles for purchase or replacement; reevaluates and deselects materials which need to be cancelled, repaired or replaced; selects materials for preschool stops that support their educational mission.
- Develops and maintains rapport with schools, community agencies, organizations and institutions that promote literacy; develops programs for teachers and caregivers with an emphasis on promoting literacy.
- Submits required department reports and collects various program related statistics; serves on library committees; attends YSD meetings; assists with system-wide children’s programs, activities and initiatives; participates in community events.
- Provides public service coverage at the Information Desk in the READ Center.
- Supports and contributes to the library vision, mission and core values; maintains a high degree of ethics, integrity and confidentiality.
- Drive the Book Bus and other library vehicles in a safe and careful manner.
REQUIRES: Associates/Technical degree with coursework in education or early childhood development, or related field and moderate experience as a school library media specialist or experience with an emphasis on reading or youth preferred. Bachelor's degree preferred.
Ability to obtain Indiana State Library Certification within 6 months of hire date. Must have great customer service skills, excellent communication skills, be self motivated, able to work a flexible schedule including evening and weekend hours, and be dependable and responsible. Applicants must adhere to Library’s Dress Guidelines (“Business Casual”) and dress suitable for the task at hand, and must maintain good personal hygiene in compliance with Library Code of Conduct.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: This work requires the occasional exertion of up to 25 pounds of force; work regularly requires speaking or hearing and using hands to finger, handle or feel, frequently requires standing, walking, sitting, reaching with hands and arms, pushing or pulling, lifting and repetitive motions and occasionally requires climbing or balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching or crawling and tasting or smelling; work has standard vision requirements; vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word; hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels; work requires operating motor vehicles or equipment and observing general surroundings and activities; work occasionally requires wet, humid conditions (non-weather) and exposure to outdoor weather conditions; work is generally in a moderately noisy location (e.g. business office, light traffic).
Qualified persons interested may submit an EVPL Electronic Application. All applicants must attach a cover letter and a resume/vitae to the electronic application for full consideration. Applicant materials will be taken until the position is filled.
Review of applicant materials will begin immediately.
Evansville Vanderburgh Public Library
Attn: Human Resources
200 S.E. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.
Evansville, IN 47713
EVPL is an equal opportunity employer.