Employment Opportunities: Youth and Teen Collections Specialist
Location: Administrative Offices at Central Library - Collections & Technical Services Dept.
200 SE Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.
Evansville, IN 47713
Master of Library Science or Master of Library and Information Services degree required.
Full-time, benefit eligible position.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Specializing in youth and teen collections, assures the implementation of cost-effective centralized materials selection, collection maintenance/de-selection, ordering and receiving to assure a high quality and diverse collection of materials (print and non-print) throughout the EVPLibrary system to appropriately meet the needs and requests of adults of the community consistent with the Mission of EVPLibrary.
- Under the direction of the Collection Development Manager, develops and regularly revises a collection plan for teen and youth collections for the EVPL system.
- Periodically evaluates the entire youth and teen materials collection (print and non-print) for the EVPLibrary system and establishes collection goals in consultation with department/branch managers and the Collection Development Manager.
- Assists with the development of the annual materials/collection budget for adult materials.
- Assists in evaluating and negotiating purchase plans/ arrangements with materials vendors /suppliers, selecting vendors/suppliers (based on discounts, ability to deliver desired items and quantities in a timely fashion and shelf ready).
- Prepares statistical and other reports as needed.
- Assists with the maintenance of youth and teen collections, including shifting/transfer of materials, discarding of worn materials and displaying of new materials; approves or delegates the approval authority for discards, replacements, mending and/or binding.
- Gathers, interprets, reports and creatively uses data regarding youth and teen collections; compiles statistics on purchases such as total purchases, average price, and fund allocations.
- Monitors customer interests/demands and national trends/hot topics for youth and teens
- Assists the Collection Development Manager with special projects
- Other duties as assigned.
Master’s of Library Science degree from an ALA accredited school and three to five years of relevant work experience. Ability to obtain Indiana State Library Certification within 6 months of hire date. Must have great customer service skills, excellent communication skills, be self motivated, able to work a flexible schedule including evening and weekend hours, and be dependable and responsible. Applicants must adhere to Library’s Dress Guidelines (“Business Casual”) and dress suitable for the task at hand, and must maintain good personal hygiene in compliance with Library Code of Conduct.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: This work requires the occasional exertion of up to 25 pounds of force; work regularly requires speaking or hearing and using hands to finger, handle or feel, frequently requires standing, walking, sitting, reaching with hands and arms and repetitive motions and occasionally requires climbing or balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching or crawling, pushing or pulling and lifting; work requires close vision; vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word; hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels; work requires preparing and analyzing written or computer data, visual inspection involving small defects and/or small parts, operating machines, operating motor vehicles or equipment and observing general surroundings and activities; work occasionally requires exposure to outdoor weather conditions; work is generally in a moderately noisy location (e.g. business office, light traffic).
Qualified persons interested may submit an EVPL Electronic Application. All applicants must attach a cover letter and a resume/vitae to the electronic application for full consideration. Applicant materials will be taken until the position is filled.
Review of applicant materials will begin immediately.
Evansville Vanderburgh Public Library
Attn: Human Resources
200 S.E. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.
Evansville, IN 47713
EVPL is an equal opportunity employer.