Indiana Room Use
1. Indiana Room is reserved for the sole use of customers researching the local history collection. It is open on Tuesdays 10am - 1pm, Thursdays 1pm - 5pm, and Saturdays 10am to 12 noon and 1:30pm to 4:30pm. Appointments for other times should be made 24 hours in advance and will depend on staff available. You may request an appointment online, call (812) 428-8218 or request in person at the Help desk, 2nd Floor at Central.
2. No materials may be removed from the room, with the exception of audio-visual materials.
3. Users may bring in paper, pencils, and laptops only. Briefcases, bags, backpacks, coats, and other items may be left at the Help Desk, to be retrieved when leaving.
4. Many of these materials are fragile. Please handle with care. They may not be marked in any way, nor may the pages be dog-eared or paper-clipped. Photocopying is allowed only by permission of each item by the Indiana Room staff member.
5. Please do not re-shelve or re-file materials. Return them to the librarian on duty.
Indiana Room Appointment Request Form
Materials in Indiana Room and other local history information:
1. Books, atlases, magazines on Evansville, Indiana, and the Tri-State area.
2. Historical Evansville telephone books, city directories, and cross-reference directories.
3 Local school yearbooks
4. Books by local authors.
5. Mounted photos, drawings, maps.
6 Clipping File (1920's - Feb 1972), Addenda File (March 1972 +) - clippings from newspapers, copies of magazine articles, pamphlets, brochures, photos, drawings, and other materials arranged by subject.
7. Indiana state documents.
8. Tri State Collection from the Shoah Foundation Visual History Archive (115 oral histories of Holocaust witnesses and survivors from Indiana, Illinois and Kentucky)
Staff at the Help desk will assist you with the following:
9. Local History File index - card file of subject-indexed, annotated citations to newspaper articles, magazine articles, books, Internet sites, etc. (Index currently in Reference Services workroom)
10. Microfilm of Clipping File (E - Ind. Prisons), Browning Obituary microfilm (1920 - 1993), miscellaneous microfilm, local newspapers are in the Microforms Collection near the Help Desk.
11. Online: Browning Genealogy Database
(early 1900 to date)
, Local History Database (Ev. Press morgue, Browning People Study)
, NewsBank Full Text Newspapers (Evansville Courier, 6/14/91 to date; Indianapolis Star, 1999 to date; Louisvile Courier Journal, 1999 to date), Evansville Electronic Books