Public Library Friends
The Bylaws contained herein have been duly adopted and ratified at the first annual meeting of the Public Library Friends held on September 30, 1982; with amendments ratified by vote of the membership on November 27, 1984, November 15, 1990, November 19, 1996, April 30, 1998, December 5, 2002, November 1, 2003, November 12, 2005.
Name. The name of the organization shall be "Public Library Friends, Inc." located in Evansville, Indiana, also referred to below as the "Public Library Friends."
Purpose. The Public Library Friends, Inc. shall be a non-profit organization whose purposes are:
- to improve the services and resources of the Evansville Vanderburgh Public Library, Evansville, Indiana.
- to promote involvement of local citizens in the activities of the Library
- to act as an advisory group to the Library administration whenever requested
- to act as advocate for the Library at the local, state, and national level as requested by the library administration.
Membership. The membership shall consist of individuals or organizations who subscribe to the purposes stated above and who pay annual dues.
Individuals or organizations can join the Public Library Friends at any time simply by paying the appropriate membership fee.
The fee schedule shall be determined each year by the Board of Directors.
Each membership shall be entitled to one vote at the annual meeting.
The membership year is January 1 through December 31.
Board of Directors. The Public Library Friends shall be governed by a Board of Directors numbering twelve (12), one-third of whom shall be elected for three-year terms at each annual meeting from among the active members. The term of office shall be for three (3) years beginning January 1 - December 31.
Only individuals who meet Article III guidelines are considered for election and therefore organizations may wish to designate an official representative who would then become eligible to serve as a Director. Directors can be re-elected for two additional three-year terms and then must rotate off the Board for at least one year.
A Board member who does not attend 4 consecutive regularly scheduled meetings may be removed from the Board at the discretion of the Executive Committee.
Vacancies on the Board of Directors shall be filled during the year by appointment of the President for the remainder of the unexpired term.
The Board shall have the power to conduct business on behalf of the Public Library Friends, establish committees, file reports and disburse funds.
The Director of the Evansville Vanderburgh Public Library shall be an ex-officio non-voting member of the Board.
The Library Liaison shall be appointed by the Library Director and serve as an ex-officio non-voting member of the Board.
Officers. The officers of the Public Library Friends shall be a President, Vice President, Treasurer, and Secretary. (The Executive Committee).
The President, Vice President, and Secretary shall be elected from among the Board of Directors by the membership as a whole at the annual meeting. The term of office shall be for one year beginning January 1 through December 31.
No person shall serve for more than two consecutive one-year terms in the same office, nor as an officer for more than a total of four consecutive years, except for the Treasurer who shall be appointed by the President to continue on a year to year basis as approved by the Board.
Vacancies in any office shall be filled by the Board of Directors at a regular meeting of the Board for the unexpired term of any officer.
Committees. Standing committees shall be established as necessary by the Board of Directors. The President shall be an ex-officio member of all committees except the Nominating Committee.
- Nominating Committee - The President shall annually appoint two or more members of the Board to serve on the Nominating Committee, at least one of whom did not serve the previous year. The Nominating Committee shall submit a slate of officers and new directors to the membership two weeks prior to the annual meeting. Other persons may also be nominated from the floor for consideration, provided that person's approval has been previously obtained.
- Membership Committee - The President shall annually appoint two or more Directors to serve on the Membership Committee which shall be responsible for the membership drive and shall recommend dues for different levels of membership.
- Bylaws Committee - The President shall annually appoint two or more Directors to serve on the Bylaws Committee which shall advise the Board of Directors of necessary or desired changes in the Bylaws of the Public Library Friends. The Director of the Library is an ex-officio member of this committee. The Committee shall review the Bylaws at least once during a year and give a report to the Board no later than one month prior to the annual meeting.
- Ways and Means/Special Projects Committee - The President shall annually appoint two or more members of the Board which shall oversee special projects and fund raisers, except the annual book sale.
BYLAWS, 1982, 1984, 1990, 1996, 1998, 2002, 2003, 2005
Book Sale Chair. The President shall annually appoint the Chair of the Book Sale.
Meetings. The annual meeting of the membership shall be held in the last quarter of the calendar year. A written announcement of the date, time, and place shall be provided to members at least two weeks in advance.
Other meetings of the membership may be called when deemed appropriate by the President or by petition of at least five members and approval of the Board of Directors.
A quorum shall consist of those in attendance at the called meeting.
The Board of Directors shall meet quarterly at a time and place which is made known to the membership. In other months the Executive Committee may meet.
All meetings of the Board are open to members of the Public Library Friends. A quorum shall consist of five (5) Directors.
Special meetings of the Board may be called by the President upon reasonable notice.
The Secretary shall take minutes of both membership meetings and Board meetings and maintain the official record on file at the library. Minutes of the meetings shall be distributed to Board members at least one week prior to the next Board meeting. A report of the annual meeting will be published in The River City Library Times.
Finances. The fiscal year of the organization shall be January 1 through December 31.
Funds shall be collected, safeguarded, and accounted for on a calendar year basis. All expenditures shall be made with the approval of the Board of Directors, and paid by the Treasurer who shall be responsible for keeping a record of all financial transactions for the Public Library Friends.
An independent audit shall be conducted annually in January for the previous year and a report submitted to the Board.
Amendments. Changes or amendments to the Bylaws may be approved at any properly called meeting of the membership by a two-thirds vote of those present. Notice of these changes must be given to the membership at least two weeks in advance of the meeting when the vote is taken.
Parliamentary Procedure. Robert's Rule of Order, newly Revised, shall be followed in conducting all meetings of the membership and the Board.