Employment Opportunities: Part-time Helpdesk Technician
Location: Central Library, Tech Center
200 SE Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.
Evansville, IN 47713
Hours: Part-time, must be able to work a flexible schedule including evenings and weekends; $11.01 per hour; scheduled approximately 20 hours per week
Start Date: January 4, 2016
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Performs technical work assisting customers via telephone or in person with technology available in the library.
- Assists and educates customers over the phone or in person in technology related to library or personal use including computers, internet, eBooks or eReaders, hardware, software, the digital catalog, their digital accounts, scanners, printers or other various software, and accessing materials via the web.
- Enforces the library noise or distraction policy within the technical center; enforces library policies regarding inappropriate content.
- Assists customers with basic navigation of websites, creation of email, social networking or other accounts.
- Assists customers with management of computer files.
- Assists customers with job searches and/or online application systems and unemployment benefit applications.
- Assists and educates customers on the use of Microsoft Office applications.
- Acts as a proctor for exams including the Test of Adult Basic Education and local or national university testing.
- Assists with registration of customers for computer classes; facilitates related classes.
- Provides customers with information about computer classes, library programs and other outreach programs when relevant.
- Assists customers with connecting to the Wi-Fi network.
REQUIRES: High school diploma or general education degree (GED);and minimal experience working with Microsoft Office, using a variety of computer hardware and software systems, or equivalent combination of education and experience. Must have great customer service skills, excellent communication skills, be self motivated, able to work a flexible schedule including evening and weekend hours, must be available to work Sundays periodically, and be dependable and responsible. Applicants must adhere to Library’s Dress Guidelines (“Business Casual”) and dress suitable for the task at hand, and must maintain good personal hygiene in compliance with Library Code of Conduct.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: This work requires the regular exertion of up to 10 pounds of force, frequent exertion of up to 25 pounds of force and occasional exertion of up to 50 pounds of force; work regularly requires speaking or hearing and using hands to finger, handle or feel, frequently requires sitting, reaching with hands and arms, pushing or pulling, lifting and repetitive motions and occasionally requires standing, walking, climbing or balancing and stooping, kneeling, crouching or crawling; work requires close vision; vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word; hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels; work requires preparing and analyzing written or computer data, visual inspection involving small defects and/or small parts, operating machines and observing general surroundings and activities; work occasionally requires exposure to outdoor weather conditions; work is generally in a moderately noisy location (e.g. business office, light traffic).
Qualified persons interested may submit an EVPL Electronic Application. Applicant materials will be taken until the position is filled.
Review of applicant materials will begin immediately.
Evansville Vanderburgh Public Library
Attn: Human Resources
200 S.E. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.
Evansville, IN 47713
EVPL is an equal opportunity employer.