Oct 9 2018
Erika Qualls Barnett
Are you looking for a fun, cheap way to make a musical instrument with your children? With a few house-hold items you can make maracas to dance around the home. These maracas are also a great way to have a conversation about Hispanic Heritage Month during September and October.
- 2 plastic cups or containers — the same size — clean and dry
- ½ cup of noise makers: coffee beans, dried peas, macaroni, rice, or pasta
- Masking tape
- Options for decorations: Markers, paint, fabric, streamers, etc.
- Decorate the maraca with bright colors and glue on fabric pieces too if you wish
- Put the noise makers (pasta, rice, beans, etc.) into one of the cups or containers
- Connect cups and wrap masking tape around the rims for additional support