Local History Index (March 1972 - December 2006)
This card file was started in March of 1972 and indexes newspaper articles about area people, industries, organizations, city and county government, schools, buildings, and events. Some magazine articles, books, and pamphlets are also indexed, but the bulk of the information is taken from the Evansville Press and Evansville Courier. The index concentrates on articles concerning the greater Evansville area, with some information on Indiana and the near Tri-State area. This index file was closed at the end of 2006 when the Evansville Courier Press archive became available online in the Newsbank database at EVPL.
For newspaper articles prior to March 1972, see Clipping File or Addenda.
Instructions for Use
- Ask Reference Services staff for the drawers of the subject you are interested in.
- Under each heading, citations to articles give the initials of the source, date, special section, page on which it starts, and a one-phrase indication of the article's contents. An asterisk indicates the presence of illustrations.
- The complete article is usually on the microfilm copy of the Evansville Press or Evansville Courier for the date cited, and can be viewed or copied using the microfilm reader/printers.
- If there are related articles for that subject in the Clipping File or Addenda, a red "CF" will be typed in the upper left corner of the card.
- Some mounted pictures can be found under the appropriate headings on a separate card with 'PF' at the top.
- References to material in books will be on a separate "book resources" card filed in front of indexed articles cards.
- Copy the full citation and ask Reference Services staff to direct you to this material.
Please call Reference at (812) 428-8218 if you have any questions.