Passport Services


Central Library now offers passport services to the community.


Available only by appointment at Central Library:

Monday - Thursday 10:00am - 7:00pm
Friday - Saturday 10:00am - 3:30pm


Passport Acceptance Agents cannot execute applications from friends,
family members or co-workers from his/her own facility.


To schedule your passport application appointment, call (812) 428-8396.

  • Leave a clear voicemail that includes:
    • Dates & times you are available during the posted application hours
    • Your name & contact phone number
  • A customer service representative will call you to confirm an appointment time.
  • If you must cancel your appointment for any reason, please call (812) 428-8396.


If this is your first passport, you must apply in person.

If you are renewing an expired adult passport within the last 15 years, you may apply by mail.

You must bring the following documentation with you to your appointment:

  • A completed application for passport
    • Available at Central Library, passport agencies, or complete online & print.
    • Do not sign this application before your appointment.
  • Two passport photos
  • Proof of U.S. citizenship, such as:
    • Previous U.S. passport
    • Certified birth certificate
    • Certificate of Citizenship or Naturalization
    No photocopies will be accepted. Documents will be returned with your issued passport. If you do not have a certified copy of your birth certificate, contact the agency which holds your birth record.
  • Current proof of identity, such as:
    • Previous U.S. passport
    • Current valid driver's license
    • Military I.D. card
    • State I.D. card

Full, detailed information on documentation requirements is posted on the Department of State website.

The U.S. Department of State has the sole responsibility for examining applications & issuing passports.


Two fees are required for a new passport:

  • Passport fee, payable by check or money order only, to U.S. Department of State
    • $110 for an adult passport (valid 10 years)
    • $80 for a child (under 16) passport (valid 5 years)
    • An expedite fee (three week service) is an additional $60
  • Execution fee, payable by cash, check or money order, to Evansville Vanderburgh Public Library
    • $35 fee for each new passport
    • There is no execution fee for a renewal application
    • By law, passport fees are non-refundable

    • *An optional fee of $22.95 for expedited overnight mailing via USPS may be paid to Evansville Vanderburgh Public Library.


Two identical passport photos are required. These must be:

  • Identical
  • Whole-face view taken within the last 6 months
  • 2in x 2in in size
  • Against a light background
  • No hats or head-coverings
  • Hair must not obstruct view of face (eyebrows & other features should be visible)

Vending machine photos are not accepted. Complete photo guidelines can be found on the Department of State website.

Passport photo service is available at Central Library for a fee of $13 per person.


You can renew your Passport by mail if all of these conditions apply to your current U.S. Passport:

  • it is undamaged & can be submitted with your application
  • it was issued when you were age 16 or older
  • it was issued within the last 15 years
  • it was issued in your current name (or your name change legal document is mailed in with your app)

The Passport Renewal Form DS-82 is available online and you are encouraged to complete the mail-in renewal process yourself.

However, Central Library's Passport Office does have renewal form DS-82 available for your convenience. Remember, a current passport photo is required. You can have a photo taken at the library for a $13 fee for each applicant.

It is the applicant's responsibility to mail in the completed application, photos, and passport fee. The library cannot mail renewal applications on your behalf.

If any of the renewal conditions shown above are not met, you must follow the instructions for applying for the first time, in person.

Passport Cards

A passport card is also an option for travelers. However, the passport card can only be used for land and sea travel between the United States and Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, & the Carribbean.

  • The passport card fees are different than passports. They are payable by check or money order only to the U.S. Department of State
    • Adult passport card fee: $30
    • Child passport card fee: $15
  • Execution fee, payable by cash, check, or money order, to Evansville Vanderburgh Public Library
    • $25 fee for each passport card
    • By law, passport fees are non-refundable

Additional information about applying for the new Passport Card is available on the U.S. Department of State website.


How long does it take to receive my passport?
Routine application processing takes 6-8 weeks.

What if my name has changed?
The name on your passport should match your evidence of identity and citizenship. To change your name on a passport or as a proof of identity, you must submit a marriage certificate, or a certified copy of the court decree substantiating the change.
To have a replacement passport issued, submit this document with a completed Form DS-5504, following the Department of State instructions on the document.
If more than one year since the date of issue has passed, you must submit Form DS-82 (or DS-11, if appropriate) and pay the applicable fees.

Can I get a passport for my child?
For all children under age 16:

  • Children must accompany you to apply for a passport.
  • All applications for children under 16 require both parents' or legal guardians' consent.
  • Birth certificates must be submitted for all children showing parental relationship (even if the child has had a previous passport).

For all children age 16 to 17:

  • The minor must appear in person.
  • For security reasons, parental consent is required.
  • Consent may be implied by a parent's signature on the fee payment check; in some cases, an affidavit of consent may be requested.
  • If your child does not have identification of his/her own, you need to accompany your child, present identification and co-sign the application.

I have an expired passport. Can I renew it by mail?
If the passport is an adult passport, is not damaged, was issued within the last 15 years and was issued in the same name (or the name change can be documented), you can renew it by mail.

How can I get a replacement for a lost or stolen passport?
To replace a lost or stolen passport, complete Form DS-11 and Form DS-64, following the instructions on the Department of State website.

Where can I get information about the status of my application?
Status information is available through the National Passport Information Center.

I have a family emergency and need a passport immediately. What can I do?
Contact the National Passport Information Center and the staff there will advise you. There is no charge for this call.

What if the name on my passport doesn't match the name in which I've purchased my airline tickets?
Airlines strongly encourage you to buy tickets with the exact name listed on your passport.
If you have purchased international flight tickets, be sure the name you use on your passport application will match the name on your airline tickets.
To change your name on a passport or as a proof of identity, you must submit a marriage certificate, or certified copy of the court decree substantiating the change.

Passport application acceptance agencies do not handle visas. A visa is an endorsement or stamp placed by officials of a foreign country on a U.S. passport that allows the bearer to visit that foreign country. Foreign entry requirements vary by country. Visas are obtained through consular offices. Some travel agents handle visa requirements.

Travel to Caribbean, Bermuda, Canada or Mexico
All travelers to and from the Americas, the Caribbean, and Bermuda are required to have a passport or other accepted document that establishes the bearer's identity and nationality to enter or re-enter the United States.
Those traveling by land or sea can use the new Passport Card.