By EVPL Staff

Tax Aide Resources

Tax season is here. EVPL is pleased to be continuing our partnership with AARP to provide tax aide assistance to our community. Here are resources that may be helpful to tax filers whether you have an appointment at the library or file on your own.

Tax Help Resources

  • For online help, AARP Foundation Tax Aide is available year-round to answer your tax questions.
  • UPDATE (March 9): All appointments are filled. The University of Southern Indiana students in the Romain College of Business will provide free federal and state income tax preparation as part of the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program. To make an appointment, call the Romain College of Business at 812.464.1718.
  • UPDATE (March 9): There are a small number of appointments left on this site. Click the Schedule Appointment to see different dates, choose different locations from the drop down menu to see different date availability. VITA Free Tax Preparation with United Way of Southern Indiana offers free tax preparation and e-filing services to individuals and families with a low-to-moderate annual household income.
  • NEW (March 9): The Legal Aid Society will still have appointments available, but they only schedule 2 weeks in advance.The next time to call for an opening is March 22. Call as early as possible because the 20-40 appointments fill up incredibly quickly. Call 812.435.5173 to schedule.
    • 1 NW MLK Jr Blvd., Civic Center, Room 105
      Mondays, 1:00 – 4:00 pm
      1/31/22 – 4/18/22
  • NEW (March 14): Posey County Council on Aging has appointments available. You can call 812.838.4656 to make an appointment.
    • 611 W. 8th Street
      Mt. Vernon, IN 47620

Tax Forms

IRS: Tax Prep List

Below is a list of items and information you should gather prior to filing your tax return.

  • Social Security numbers for you, your spouse, and dependents (an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number assignment letter may be substituted for you, your spouse, and your dependents if you do not have a Social Security number)
  • Birth dates for you, your spouse, and dependents on the tax return
  • Wage and earning statements (Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, 1099-Misc) from all employers or payers
  • Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
  • A copy of last year’s federal and state returns, if available
  • Bank account routing and account numbers for direct deposit
  • Total paid for daycare expenses and the daycare provider’s tax number, such as their Social Security number or business Employer Identification Number
  • Form 1095-A, Health Insurance Marketplace Statement
  • If you are married and filing a joint tax return, both you and your spouse must sign the return.

AARP Foundation Tax-Aide: Important Documents

The checklist below includes items you need to bring when you visit an AARP Foundation Tax-Aide site for them to help you prepare your tax return(s).

  • Previous year’s tax return(s).
  • Social Security cards and/or ITIN notices/cards or other official documentation that show the taxpayer identification numbers for every individual on your return.
  • Government-issued photo ID for each taxpayer.
  • Checking or savings account information if you want to direct deposit any refund(s) or direct debit any amounts due.
  • Identity Protection PIN (IP PIN) (for each individual if applicable).


  • W-2 for each employer.
  • 1099-G form for unemployment compensation or state/local income tax refunds.
  • SSA-1099 form showing the total Social Security benefits paid to you for the year, or RRB-1099, Tier 1 Railroad Retirement benefits form.
  • 1099 forms (or other statements) reporting interest (1099-INT), dividends (1099-DIV) and/or proceeds from sales (1099-B), plus documentation showing the original purchase prices if you sold stocks or other assets.
  • 1099-R form if you received a pension, annuity, or IRA distribution.
  • 1099-MISC, 1099-K, or other 1099 forms. If you have a business, bring a summary list of all your income (cash and non-cash) and all business-related expenses.
  • Information about any other income of any form including cash or other than cash.


Records of any federal and/or state and/or local income tax paid (including quarterly estimated tax payments) if not shown on income documents.


Most taxpayers have a choice of taking either a standard deduction or itemizing their deductions.

If you have a substantial amount of deductions, you may want to itemize. If so, bring the following information:

  • 1098 form showing home mortgage interest.
  • A summary list of medical/dental/vision expenses including doctor and hospital bills and medical insurance premiums, prescription medicines, assisted living services, long-term insurance, and bills for medical-related home improvements such as ramps and railings for people with disabilities.
  • Summary of cash and noncash contributions to charity.
  • Property tax bills paid during the year (frequently shown on mortgage statement).

Health Insurance

  • 1095-A forms if you purchased insurance through the Marketplace (Exchange).
  • 1095-B/1095-C forms (optional).
  • Any exemption correspondence from the Marketplace (if applicable).


  • Dependent care provider information – name, address, telephone number, and employer ID, or Social Security number, and amount paid to provider.
  • 1098-T form for education expenses plus statement of account from the educational institution showing tuition and fees actually paid and scholarships, grants, etc. received. Also, bring a summary of any other education expenses.
  • 1098-E form for student loan interest.
EVPL Staff

EVPL Staff

With 8 locations throughout Vanderburgh County, EVPL is ready to discover, explore, and connect WITH you! We encourage you to uncover new things, revisit old favorites, and to engage with us along the way.

2022 AARP Tax Aide
Hearts for Heroes